Monkey Wrench

Recently, I mentioned that I was applying for the Next Food Network Star . At that time, the Food Network website invited candidates to email them a letter, explaining why they should be considered. I sent off a heartfelt letter and waited.

Today, in looking for show information for another show (I'm a Food Network junkie, if you hadn't already figured that out) I noticed a box for Next Food Network Star. This one states that you should send a video audition no later than October 31st, or come to an open call audition.

Oh, crap! Now I need to contact Chef's cooking school owner to see if her offer of videotaping still stands. Chef's return to cooking school is on hold until I am working again, so we haven't talked since late spring.

If she'll still game for taping my audition, then the hard part comes-figuring out what the heck I'm going to cook! Yes, I've worked on the recipes all year, but which one will tape the best? I have no idea. I have to figure it out, so that I can make an outline of what to say.

Those of you who've dined on my cooking, what do you suggest I make?

Comments

Joyce-Anne said…
Honestly, I think you should go with whatever you feel the most comfortable talking about and describing. I know that's a non-answer and not what you're looking for. I don't think they care about what you make at this point, but how you relate to the camera.
Suzanne said…
Yeah, but I think I should at least represent my culinary POV for the show.

If I had the money, I'd be going to one of those Open Calls. Nearest one is in South Carolina, though.
Loralee Choate said…
I have a friend who is a tv chef and I was on the phone with him when I read this. So, I asked his opinion.

DEFINITELY go with Joyce-anne's advice. Make your favorite recipe, the one you could do in your sleep that is delicious and the party pleaser that everyone loves.

You'll be a lot more natural and comfortable on the screen that way.
Unknown said…
Loralee, it just goes to show that my oldest friends know best! :)

The recipes I can do in my sleep are the ones that seem to wow people the most.

That means I should work up outlines for three and go from there.

I can think of a few people who are wishing they didn't live far away right now, so they'd be the test subjects!
Joyce-Anne said…
heeheehee. I am thankfully not the oldest friend, but the wisest!
ligirl said…
WTF? Changing the rules in the middle of the game? No fair!!!! Really. That. makes. no. sense. You put your heart and soul into that email, and NOW (?) they are asking for videos or live auditions?!?! Not just from selected emailers, but from everyone? As in starting from scratch? I repeat, WTF?

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!