Taking Action

Would you want to make 30% more than your highest salary in a new job? If you don't, you can send that surplus my way!

I took Steve's advice and adapted my resume to add a Summary of Skills. Ed and I talked about it, and it really isn't too difficult to customize that on each online resume. The job that Steve felt I had excellent qualifications for had a lengthy summary of requirements, and I met about 75% of them. The other 25% were specific to the employer-the Federal Government. I can't say that I have ever received training in Weaponry, Aircraft Maintenance or Combat Techniques. Unless you count crowd control on Black Friday, that is.

The application on the Government website is quite lengthy, and I had to state my abilities in numerous disciplines. The interesting part of doing that is translating Military terminology to private sector experiences. I would say I did well on it, but I won't know for a while.

If this comes to fruition, the potential exists that I could transfer anywhere in the US. The minimum salary for this pay grade is serious coin for some parts of the country. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, but my resume and application is now on their website and even though I requested the local position, I might get a call from elsewhere.

While I know some people would be upset if we did move away, there are others who probably wouldn't care one way or the other. Of primary importance to me is providing for my three men in a way that doesn't impact negatively on my health. There's more I could say, but I won't here-perhaps elsewhere.

I'm not getting my hopes up about anything, but I am somewhat positive after going through an hour long process, looking at the skills they want for the job, and once I related it to a previous job, realized that "Hey, I've done this A LOT!" My ego sure could use the boost right now...


Popular posts from this blog

Unna Boot from Hell...

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one