Sore, But Why?

Today was one of those days that made me realize how much better my day to day pain level has been for a while now. On a 1 to 10 scale, I hover around a 2 or a 3. So, when I woke up this morning in more pain than I went to bed with, it was disconcerting.

Yesterday, a colleague had a computer with malware on it that was bundled with something she actually did need. (Side note: if you EVER download stuff, read all the little alert boxes and deselect anything extra before approving the download, mkay?) I'd started working on it the day before, in my classroom, in one of the most comfortable chairs I'm ever going to find in a work environment. However, in her class, besides her chair and the student desks, there was this hard plastic molded chair.

That type of chair is evil in my world. Mainly because it puts targeted pressure on the back of my leg, usually in places that are hot spots for the RSD. I thought I'd be working on that laptop for a few minutes and it wouldn't be a problem, mainly because I can do a few minutes and be safe. Instead, I was in it for about an hour. I could feel the nerve overload and knew I was in some trouble. Exactly how much, I did not know.

Also yesterday, my employers did something really nice in that they hired a massage therapist to do chair massages for all the faculty. A massage is something I have not had in over a year, it sounded good. My friend Jenn, who also had the spinal fusion the same time I did has had massages since with no ill effects, so I thought it'd be good. I sure felt good.

Afterwards, the MT commented that my neck was really tight. She wasn't surprised when I said "Oh, I had a spinal fusion five months ago." At the time, it felt fine, nothing unusual in the neck, but the leg was making me aware that it was not happy. When I dropped GameTeen home before leaving for class, I grabbed a soft blanket to roll and put under my leg for class. That helped somewhat, but by the time I left Tampa, I was sitting at a 4 on that pain scale.

I went to bed, and when I woke up, I was more sore than when I went to bed, which is a rarity with my bed. As I drove to work, I could tell this was going to be a rough one and prepared to take some pain relievers as soon as I got there. The bad part is that they did NOTHING for the pain. Around lunch time, I hit the nausea, leg pain, and Chiari pain swirl perfect storm and went into the office to lay down on the couch to get through my afternoon classes.

Two of my bosses were in a meeting with the office door closed, and when they saw me on the couch, I think they may have freaked out a bit, because I haven't done that in months. One asked me if I'd be okay to work the rest of the day or even drive home. I wondered that myself for about 10 minutes, but things calmed down a bit and I was able to work through it. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible, either-because I knew it was an aberration.

If I feel that lousy in the morning, I'm going to listen to my body and not go in...


Popular posts from this blog

Unna Boot from Hell...

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one