Suzanne's Soundtrack Sunday

Songs of My Youth

I loved this song when it came out, and enjoyed hearing it played often on WABC that year. When I started working at the college radio station, when I got the "Good Gold" show, which was a past top 40 format, I think I played this one as often as I could get away with before Jim Green would hassle me about Good Gold didn't mean I only played Andrew Gold.

My trusty Joel Whitburn Top 40 Hits(not the one pictured, but similar), informed me that his mom was Marni Nixon, a woman I knew to be the singing voice for Natalie Wood in 'West Side Story' and Deborah Kerr in "The King and I"

What I didn't know until yesterday is that he was born in 1951 and his sister, two years later-just like in the song.
Top 40 hits book


Andrew died yesterday at 59 years old.

Besides this hit, he had a busy career backing up some of the biggest names in music on their biggest hits, including playing all the instruments on Art Garfunkel's "I Only Have Eyes For You." I realize that his other big hit is how many of my friends know him, because it was the theme for Golden Girls:


Thanks for the music, Andrew.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously