Sunday Supper

Chef is an avowed soup fiend. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, because there are not many soups I don't enjoy. So, the child is especially happy when I make some at home.

I had a couple of pounds of boneless chicken breasts that had to be used today (as in I'd had it in the fridge for a few days), and today's plans upon arriving home were studying, studying and more studying. I would have been happy to make something labor intensive, but I really didn't want to put an hour into making dinner.

Usually, I cheat when I make homemade chicken noodle soup in that I buy a rotisserie chicken, pull all the meat off the carcass, then boil that until it falls apart. I skim the bones out, then add veggies, chicken and egg noodles into it. The typical batch of homemade also includes copious amounts of basil because chicken and basil go together so very nicely.

I wasn't sure how much depth of flavor my soup would have without the bones, that thoughts turned to what I could do to add flavor. Curry? Chicken curry is great, and we all like curry. I thought the flavor would marry well with the sweetness of basil, but would they work well?

The answer is a resounding yes. I shouldn't have worried about the stock creation, sauteeing chicken chunks in olive oil and spices worked just fine.


Another thing to note is that Ed does not like chicken noodle soup. Never has. However, the last two batches of homemade have converted him to this dinner that Chef and I enjoy so much.

The best part is that there is enough left for us to enjoy bowls of basil curried goodness all week long.

Comments

Saffa Chick said…
mmmm.

I think your mob would also like Thai Green Chicken Curry soup. It also makes an awesome pie filling (when less soupy) if you're in the mood!

And congrats on your "A" in the "Can't-do-better-than-B" class!

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!