Conversation Starter

It seems to follow a pattern. I park my car, head into a business establishment and the words "I really LOVE your car!" are spoken. The majority of the time, it's a baby boomer male.

The next thing you know, we're talking Beetles, turbo engines, color rims, the location of the engine and all things old school and new bugs. I get nods of agreement that, like the designated hitter, automatic Volkswagens just shouldn't be sold. Though I guess I should be glad they're not, because I probably wouldn't be able to drive mine if it had a clutch.

It's one of those things that if you're a shy person, might drive you nuts. However, just about every person I know with a new Beetle seems to be the bubbly, outgoing sort.
It seems that it's the rims on my car that tip the guys over from just looking at it and admiring to actually telling me. Friends with stock colors tell me they only seem to hear those words from teens.

As it happened again today, I had to smile that whether I'm pumping gas or grabbing a meal, someone feels the urge to tell me that they like my car.

Just like I do.


Comments

Dorothy said…
Hey Suzanne--I drive a VW New Beetle, too! Mine is green with beige interior. I love it. It's a 2006 (I think) and has been trouble free. I have it decked out with a Tinkerbelle sticker, Mickey antenna topper, and a Mickey head silver thingy on the bumper, so I don't have to share it with the other drivers in the family much (they say they're embarrassed to be seen in it--go figure)!

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!