Corned Beef Hash

Once upon a time, there was an easy way to tell I'm not a morning person: my hatred of eggs and coffee. Now, I drink coffee, but I still hate eggs. There was only one guaranteed item that would make me come to breakfast: corned beef hash.

Back then, it was Broadcast brand out of a can, but yum. It wasn't until my late teens and the luncheonette across from the gas station where I worked with Ed making it did I experience homemade hash. Oh my, did that taste sooo good! Still, canned was acceptable, but only if it came in that yellow can, or it was cooked to crispy goodness on a restaurant griddle. Let's just say that places that serve it around here are few and far between.

So, when I made corned beef for St. Paddy's day, I had plans. I purposely made more potatoes than I knew we would eat, and I kept back about a pound of meat. Today, I made some from scratch, and it was crazy easy.

Corned Beef Hash
8-9 red skinned potatoes, boiled, with skin on, cut into small cubes
1 onion, minced
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound cooked corned beef, roughly chopped (I cut mine into 2" cubes, then pulsed in the food processor)
salt to taste 50 turns pepper from a mill
Optional: 2 cooked carrots
Start by melting the butter in a pan, then add the potatoes. Generously pepper and stir occasionally. About five minutes in, add the onions and stir until well blended. Continue cooking.


If you haven't already, while the potatoes are cooking, cube the cooked corned beef, then add to food processor. Pulse for 2 or 3 seconds 4 times, then check to see that it has been shredded lightly. Add to the pan of potatoes and onions. Mix until well blended. Continue to cook an additional ten minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

If you like this with eggs and toast, have at it. I just enjoyed a little bowl of it on my own. Chef ended up with two bowls. There are enough leftovers for two more people, so we'll say this serves four comfortably.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously