Two Weeks of Teaching

The past two weeks, I've been in front of students for four classes a day. If you'd talked to me in April, I never thought that I'd be here. Yes, I wanted to research this student population, but to actually work with them every day? It didn't even cross my mind.

When I was asked to do this, though, I didn't hesitate. It felt right. What better way to form a research study than to actually see what it is that works and where there are opportunities to change instructional strategies than to actually be here. That said, I didn't know what to expect, whether my ideas were even right, or whether I'd make a connection with the students.

So far, so good.

What I love is that even the tougher students, the ones who shut themselves off from everyone are becoming some of the most engaged kids in my classes. The hugs that I get from some of the students give me such a rush that they feel comfortable with me (these typically are not the hugging kind of kids!) and today, one student commented as he left "but I don't want to leave!".

I'm still learning how much is enough in a lesson plan, how to effectively manage a classroom, and many other things-but it's coming naturally. It just fits. I keep hearing the saying by Confucius "A man who loves what he does will never work a day in his life," and it resonates. I never thought I'd love teaching this age group, but I do.

Teaching them something I love and seeing that spark because they want to learn? Pretty amazing stuff, folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously