Preferences

Ever since I got my first laptop in 2003, I've had a love/hate relationship with trackpads. My Thinkpad had a tiny 2/2 square and it was frustrating to get to where I was going on the screen. In short order, I bought a mouse for it, probably because I'd had one with every machine I'd owned, going back to 1991.

A couple of years passed, and the want of a newer machine meant I got a newer laptop in 2005 and that HP had a much nicer trackpad. It was 3x3, and I never realized how much of a difference that would make. The next machine, (the Toshiba that GameTeen now uses) however, had a textured surface and doing schoolwork on it all day meant my index finger hurt if I used the computer too long.

Then I got the Macbook Pro. I loved the multifunctionality and the smooth surface. At one point, someone suggested getting an Apple mouse, but I was firmly in the camp of 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it,' because switching to the Apple way of doing things took no time at all.

Then I got the iMac and it came with a mouse. People rave about these bluetooth mice, that they're easy to use and more ergonomic that the old Windows mice. I agree. They are easier to use and my hand doesn't stiffen up if I'm doing a lot of work for class that involves editing.

Still, due to the neurological quirks that I barely notice, there were occasions where I would inadvertently swipe myself across the screen. Twice last week, I booted myself out of an online quiz I was taking without realizing that my fingers were moving. (Yes, there are issues going on and I will be seeing the neurologist soon.)

Since I have those quirks, I figured I would get a magic trackpad and grabbed one today. There is a noticeable difference in sensitivity in the favor of people like me, who tend to be a little 'twitchy' without realizing it.

While I do like the mouse, it isn't the right fit for me and the work I tend to do. It's funny how in a relatively short amount of time (barely 2 years), you get so used to one way of doing things that you get optional equipment to keep doing things that way.

One more box for the Apple tree...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously