One Step Closer

Despite not spending enough time preparing for it, I did the endurance marathon known as the Graduate Record Examination this morning and walked out with a 'range' of my potential scores. Suffice to say, even if I only achieved the bottom of both scores, they still exceed the minimums needed to be accepted to my doctoral program.

Phew.

In a sense, I was holding my breath, wondering if I am good enough, if I have what it takes. The GRE is a snapshot of one day when presented with questions I've never seen, my answers will tell whether I have the skills to continue advanced studies.

Yes, I know it sounds strange when a third semester graduate student is wondering this, but a doctoral program requires so much more. The same skills, yes, but also the ability to look at an issue, analyze it and hypothesize a solution. I think I've got it, but me saying I do isn't enough. Now, I have test scores that say that I can handle the course work.

Me being me, instead of relaxing, the thought process was "what do I do NOW?" So, I visited the program coordinator, who congratulated me. We talked for a bit and she told me to speak to Dr. S, who just happens to be my professor for two of three classes this semester.

He and I spent a good twenty minutes after class tonight talking about what I need to do to get my application packet ready. I wanted to know what recommendation letters are preferred and what else I can do to. Writing is a skill he stressed over and over, then a classmate who was with me in the spring said "She writes a blog, of course she's a writer!" We discussed the writing I do and he suggested adding writing samples to the packet.

Next on tap is to assist a professor doing research, which he suggests doing in the spring. He even said he'd write a recommendation based on my performance in the two classes this semester. This seems strange, because he is the advisor, but I'll take that letter, thank you very much.

It's a pretty good feeling to know my ducks are in a row and I'm popping them off one by one...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unna Boot from Hell...

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Green Mountain Grills-Daniel Boone