Monday, March 14, 2011

Head Scratcher

So, I did my first, honest-to-God coding assignment. Not a simple strikethrough, not a bold text in the midst of a regular paragraph, not a hyperlink, either. Real code for a real website.

It doesn't work.

It worked just fine in the website that students were directed to for the many useful tutorials. Heck, it even has a split screen, รก la Dreamweaver (which I had a brief intro to last month) so you can work on code and test it to see if it works. On that site, everything is hunky dory. Heck, I even used someone else's source code to figure out what I was doing wrong with my color string.

The proof is in the pudding, and I couldn't get my text editor created project to work in Safari OR Firefox. Next, I emailed it to Ed to try on his machine, but it added a bunch of code that I didn't write. Frustrated, I even used his PC to type in Notepad, but the same thing happened.

Then the light bulb went off. "Hey, Blogger allows a hybrid of plain text and html. I wonder if it will work in the blog?" So I cut and pasted it here and wouldn't you know it, the darn thing works.

Take a look for yourself:


Blogging Resources


A listing of free blogging websites for those who are just starting out in the blogosphere




Several of the free sites currently available:










Of the sites listed above, Wordpress is the one most frequently used by serious bloggers. Blogger and Live Journal also have many dedicated users who get a lot of daily traffic.




If you like the idea of writing, but want to limit who reads what you say, you can have a private blog shared with only invited guests at Blogger. If you want to hide selected posts, but generally would prefer a public blog,
Live Journal allows you to select who reads each post.




Since 2005, I have maintained Suzanne Calling on Blogger. In November 2007, I participated in NaBloPoMo , a challenge to write a blog post every day. I haven't taken a day off from blogging since, and now have almost 2000 posts.




Thanks to maintaining the blog, I've made many friends and have been contacted to write a food column, interviewed about a health issue for a medical supply company's website and been emailed about posts I wrote about foreclosure and Asperger's Syndrome.




While blogging is not for everyone, if you enjoy sharing with others, it's a great way to express yourself!





What's interesting is that my opening code didn't work, because the post already used it-so the title didn't show up. However, I think that fiddling around in here may have helped me to find something that could be messing things up.

Yet another good thing about blogging, wouldn't you say?


0 People talked back: