My Assumption Was Correct

I am allergic to Nutrasweet. There was a period of time where I was getting up to six migraines a week and living on toxic doses of Imitrex to combat them. Once, I went to work with a migraine (a normal occurrence back then), but my district manager had not seen me in that state. I was green and looked like death warmed over. She later heard me vomiting in the bathroom and then I was able to cope. Talk about instant 'you are Iron Woman' respect!

Not that much later, Nurse Giggles (my sister) suggested I try cutting out Nutrasweet, as she'd determined it was her migraine trigger. I was a heavy duty diet soda drinker, stopped cold turkey and went from about FIVE migraines a week to maybe 5 or 6 a year. Hmmm. After that, I avoided anything with Aspartame, but the inadvertent consumption would trigger one.

As Splenda became more popular, I made it a point to avoid it, since I wasn't sure exactly whether the process to make artificial sweeteners was what I had an issue with, or just the chemical composition of aspartame. My use was limited to one beverage at a time.

Recently, I switched from drinking more soda than normal to unsweetened tea and water. Yes, again. This time, it is sticking better with me. In my desk at work and at home, I have various Stevia packets, which I usually toss a few in my bag to use as I dine out.

Alas, yesterday, I had none. Ed and I had lunch and a long conversation with friends at Panera. They've got this tasty Acai berry tea, of which I partook of quite a few glasses. I used Splenda. In total, 6 packets in the span of three hours.

Guess who had a migraine?

Nothing else I consumed is a known trigger for me. That was the only modification to my diet yesterday. Sooooo, I guess I need to be more diligent about those stevia packets, because Splenda is doing what I always suspected it might, in large enough quantities.

That said, it took ten years to find this out, so I guess it was good to tread cautiously!

Comments

JW said…
My brother bought his wife some perfume and after using it she began having a reaction to it. The reaction stayed with her for a month because the perfume got into her skin and apparently into the bloodstream? Not sure of all the details but I do know she dealt with this reaction for a month. Crazy how the human body reacts to various outlets.

Popular posts from this blog

Unna Boot from Hell...

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Green Mountain Grills-Daniel Boone