Storms and such

Wilma bothered Floridians to the south of us. The most she inflicted locally was some 50mph gusts, power outages, some tornados and some cooler weather. The hospital lost power last night about a half dozen times. By 10am, however, it just looked like a breezy fall day.

Around 11, Mom said "Take a Walk." Since she'd had several hallucinations, my sister asked who she was talking to. "I said, take a walk". Sis asked if she meant us, and again she told us to take a walk. So we went down to the hospital cafeteria and hung out down there for about 45 minutes. I made coffee in one of those industrial size pots, since I wasn't into drinking decaf. About 5 minutes later, I had a hard time not spewing a mouthful across the floor at my sister's regaling of a story. I will never hear the name Spongebob without it being followed by the thought of Ketchup pants. The weird things that stick with you.

We figured that Mom was tired of people being around and wanted to pass on without anyone there. Nope, but when we got back to the room, she did say "Damn, I didn't get enough time". The tendency definitely has been the pleas for death to come during the night, and during the day, she'll be lucid.

Around 12:30 this afternoon, the Hospice nurse came in and told us that there now was a bed available for mom and she'd be transported within the hour. More like ten minutes later, the ambulance had arrived and off she went. The facility is very nice, and her room has a VCR/DVD combo. I should have brought some movies for her to watch. My sister ended up going to Best Buy and buying a few classics for them to watch tonight.

The only bump we experienced is that she would have had morphine at the hospital at around 1pm, but she was already en route to Hospice. As a result, the pain meds weren't given again until 4:30. These are new ones, and today's hallucinations included an applesauce spill on her bed. She called my aunt by another name, so my cousin now is calling her mom "Anita". The chaplain came in to talk to mom, and mom exclaimed "Look, Anita's husband's here, too".

I left around 6, thinking that rush hour would be over. I didn't think about the fact that just about the whole gulf coast had closed in anticipation of Wilma, so there wasn't any traffic on the drive home. I got home to find my husband had burned avi's of one of my favorite tv show's first season-woohoo. Anything to get a smile out of me right now and he succeeded.

Half expecting a 3am phone call, but also hoping that it doesn't come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously