Will he ever get it?

The frustrations of Asperger's Syndrome:

Imagine if you will, a child with genius intelligence. This child can read at nearly college level and has amazing recall abilities. However, this 1o year old acts emotionally on the level of an 18 month old-temper tantrums and all.

He's stubborn, willful and wants everything HIS way. Never mind the fact that all the adults in his life tell him he has to do XYZ, he wants to do ABC. Rewards to encourage good behavior don't work-you give him an inch, he wants a mile. Punishment to discourage poor behavior doesn't work, either-he continues to be bad because he can't get his way.

I just got back from a visit to the school for something unrelated, but of course, my child is in the principal's office for shoving another student in his class after a morning of bad behavior. A child who must use a walker to get around. The principal and teacher are on the same page with me and Ed and said he wanted to call the sheriff's office-I told him to do it next time.

I don't know when it will end. Realistically, the medications should make it easier for our son to 'fit in' and behave, but if that's the case, why is he such a trial? I'm at the end of my ropes. Some days (and they're becoming more frequent) I wonder if the only thing I can do to help my child is to give him up to the state. That, my friends, is a scary thought, but it's the only way I can think of to possibly get through to him. No amount of yelling, sending him to his room, taking away his precious video games and talk of how he'll end up in jail (or worse) if he does this when he gets older seems to sink in.

Damn frustrating-Ed and I don't go out as a couple and have had only a few 'dates' since we've become parents because we can't in good concience subject a babysitter to son's machinations for the few hours we're out. If we DO go out, we worry the whole time that he's being a monster to whomever is watching him-which really puts a damper on either of us having fun. I think that's why it's been so important to enjoy my job-because the battle at home dealing with oldest son definitely isn't fun.

The kid's favorite whine (yes, it's nearly all whine)is "That's not fair". Yep, that sure is the truth. Somehow, we've got to get through the unfair stuff that life throws at us. Today is one of those days where I want to whine that life's not fair.

I won't get away with whining about it aloud, so instead it's here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously