April is Autism Awareness Month

1 in 88.

Some think it means autism is on the rise, and that may be true, but I really think that it points to better diagnostic tools. Paying attention to our kids when they seem to be struggling to communicate with others.

There was a time when I thought we needed a cure, but that's not exactly where I am now. Instead, we need to learn how to understand how those with Autism communicate with their world (because they do) and interpret it better. A few weeks ago, GameTeen's school director pointed out this YouTube video and I was fascinated.



She is absolutely correct that just because we don't communicate with each other, that doesn't mean she's not communicating at all.

We are all making progress, but still have a long way to go to understand.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously