Head Scratcher

So, I did my first, honest-to-God coding assignment. Not a simple strikethrough, not a bold text in the midst of a regular paragraph, not a hyperlink, either. Real code for a real website.

It doesn't work.

It worked just fine in the website that students were directed to for the many useful tutorials. Heck, it even has a split screen, รก la Dreamweaver (which I had a brief intro to last month) so you can work on code and test it to see if it works. On that site, everything is hunky dory. Heck, I even used someone else's source code to figure out what I was doing wrong with my color string.

The proof is in the pudding, and I couldn't get my text editor created project to work in Safari OR Firefox. Next, I emailed it to Ed to try on his machine, but it added a bunch of code that I didn't write. Frustrated, I even used his PC to type in Notepad, but the same thing happened.

Then the light bulb went off. "Hey, Blogger allows a hybrid of plain text and html. I wonder if it will work in the blog?" So I cut and pasted it here and wouldn't you know it, the darn thing works.

Take a look for yourself:


Blogging Resources


A listing of free blogging websites for those who are just starting out in the blogosphere




Several of the free sites currently available:










Of the sites listed above, Wordpress is the one most frequently used by serious bloggers. Blogger and Live Journal also have many dedicated users who get a lot of daily traffic.




If you like the idea of writing, but want to limit who reads what you say, you can have a private blog shared with only invited guests at Blogger. If you want to hide selected posts, but generally would prefer a public blog,
Live Journal allows you to select who reads each post.




Since 2005, I have maintained Suzanne Calling on Blogger. In November 2007, I participated in NaBloPoMo , a challenge to write a blog post every day. I haven't taken a day off from blogging since, and now have almost 2000 posts.




Thanks to maintaining the blog, I've made many friends and have been contacted to write a food column, interviewed about a health issue for a medical supply company's website and been emailed about posts I wrote about foreclosure and Asperger's Syndrome.




While blogging is not for everyone, if you enjoy sharing with others, it's a great way to express yourself!





What's interesting is that my opening code didn't work, because the post already used it-so the title didn't show up. However, I think that fiddling around in here may have helped me to find something that could be messing things up.

Yet another good thing about blogging, wouldn't you say?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously